15 October 2009

30th September 2009 - The 'SHOW'

On 30th September 2009.

As usual at about 6:45am, I got up, ready to prepare breakfast for my hubby and myself.

I walked into the bathroom, ready to give my 1st pee of the day and saw the 'SHOW' (which I have been eagerly waiting for)...

Quickly, I walked out of the bathroom and delighted told Aaron about the 'SHOW'.

I called Wendy from TLC (my regular advisor when I encounter any problems throughout the pregnancy period; also friend of my brother), and was asked to go to the clinic by 8:45am.

Aaron called his boss and applied for the day's leave. Went back to his office to handover some jobs to his colleague and came back for me, while I took a quick shower, washed my hair and ransacked through the 'ready-to-go bag', making sure that I don't miss out anything important.

On the way to the Thomson Medical, we smiled and talked about how Alexis must have calculated the timing well enough.

If it is the following day, Aaron would have gone in to Johor Bahru with his boss. Also the next day was 1st of October and daddy did mentioned better not to be delivered on that day, for she may forever be a child (Children's Day). Daddy also said "Not during Formula Race Day", "Not on days where there is Man-United Soccer Matches"... wow, so many restrictions...

So Alexis has chosen the best day, best timing... :)


We reached the clinic at 9:00pm. Did a CTG and was confirmed that I am having contractions. Went in to see Dr. Eunice. She did a check on me and told me: "ok, we are ready to have her today. I would say anytime in the evening".

We went to the delivery ward excitedly, did the registration, and since it was still early, we went Delifrance for breakfast. Aaron and I was really excited and there Daddy goes again: "Erm.. she is clever to choose today and the timing for the 'SHOW', but now alexis, there is another important factor, it is better to be delivered after office hours!!".. Aiyo, daddy have so many restrictions...

After breakfast, I reported back to the delivery ward, got changed into the delivery robe and was given 'assistance' to clear my bowels... That was quite a bit of 'quake' :)
After all 'cleared', the anesthetic Doctor came... EPIDURAL!!!

He was quite a funny guy (forgot his name; was it Dr. Ong???). I asked him about the side effects, the pain, and told him what I heard from my friends (who had epidural). He said he shall not scare me further since my 'good' friends already had and merely told me "every individual feels differently" and assured me that he will try his best to not HURT me that much! THANKS!
He was talking to me throughout the epidural administration and literally I felt nothing like the pain my friends described - It wasn't that scary after all. Or perhaps the Doctor was SUPERB. Before he left, he said with a smile: "Alright, you are ready to see me again for epidural next year this time, perhaps??

Few minutes later, Dr. Eunice came. It was time for breaking of the water-bag! Eh.. aren't they supposed to let it break naturally?? "Will it be painful?", was my question. She laughed and said, "It will be over before you know it". And it really did! She merely placed her fingers beneath and into me and the next second, I felt a gush of warm fluid flowing out... I wetted the bed!!! No Pain, nothing at all :)

Then Dr Eunice complained to the nurse that she doesn't like the bed that I am on and asked that I be transferred to the Ops theatre where the bed is more comfortable and there is a T.V to keep me entertained - VIP service ;)

It was near to 11:00am when I was pushed into the Ops theatre. I laid in bed, waiting for the dilation to take place while Aaron kept on 'telling' Alexis: "wait till after office hours ok. Erm, after 5 is ok" ~ (then she will have a good life; no-need-to-slog-life).

Lunch hours passed, Aaron bought me a sandwich. I took a slice of it and continued waiting. Luckily I did not felt any sort of shivering (a side effect experienced by most after the administeration of epidural). The nurses came regularly to check on my contraction, the baby's heart beat, my blood pressure, dilation. It was about 3+pm when the nurse told me I was already about 8cm dilated and told me approximately 2 more hours to go. Dr. Eunice's estimation was about 4+pm.

As the clock ticked on, Aaron and me became more and more excited. In my mind then, I prayed hard for a smooth delivery and the safety of Alexis.

Suddenly we both heard a woman's moaning from the next door. The nurse came in for routine check and we understood from her that the lady had opted for a total drug-free delivery and hence the 'suffering'. The nurse went on to say that sometimes it is difficult for Doctor or midwife when patients opt for drug-free because other than trying to deliver the baby safely, they still have to monitor the mother closely to make sure she can pull through the whole delivery smoothly. The moan and groan I heard, tell me that I have indeed make the right choice in opting for the epidural. It is really scary and it affected us that much (just by hearing it).

4:30pm
I was 10cm dilated. The midwife called Dr. Eunice who suggested that I start doing the 'pushing'. By then, my left leg was totally numbed. With the midwife and Aaron's help, we began to 'PUSH' when contraction starts. We were pushing on and off, for about half an hour. They could see the baby's hair but I just can't seem to push her out further. Ok, it was her positioning, she was faced-up and according to the midwife, that is why it is difficult for her to be delivered.

Dr. Eunice came to my (our) rescue. She assisted my delivery with a vacuum. We pushed again for another 3~4 times and Alexis was born 5+pm; Daddy, Alexis made it after office hours!!! :-)

I heard her cries and was never this delighted but I never cried (which I thought I would). Too Happy. It was too happy an occasion for tears. They cleaned her up, placed her on my chest and my Alexis was looking at me with eyes open wide!!! The look on Aaron's face - This is our daughter, the one we have been waiting for, my precious one. He looked so happy. He is finally now a DADDY!

They brought her out for shower, Aaron followed along, while I was being stitched up. After her shower, she was brought back to me and placed on my chest for latched-on. She is a clever girl, she soon latched on and was sucking her way through :)

The delivery is finally over. How do I feel? ==> Delighted and proud to be a Mother now.

What am I expecting now? ==> Days and Nights of enjoyment with my girl ;-)

No comments: